Perform the Wide-Grip Seated Cable Row with the Cable machine with a wide-grip attachment, Adjustable seat, bench, Footrest or footplates
Adjust the seat or bench height so that the handles are at the same level as your mid-chest and Sit on the bench with your feet flat on the footrest or footplates.
- Adjust the seat or bench height so that the handles are at the same level as your mid-chest.
- Sit on the bench with your feet flat on the footrest or footplates.
- Grab the wide-grip handles with your palms facing down. Extend your arms fully in front of you.
- Maintain an upright posture and retract your shoulder blades.
- Pull the handles toward your torso, keeping your elbows pointed outward. Squeeze your back muscles at the peak of the movement.
- Slowly return to the starting position, maintaining control and tension in your muscles.
- Repeat the exercise for the recommended number of repetitions.
The Wide-Grip Seated Cable Row primarily targets the following muscle groups:
- Upper back (Trapezius and Rhomboids)
- Latissimus dorsi (Lats)
- Biceps (to a lesser extent)
Tips on doing this exercise
- Focus on pulling with your back muscles, not just your arms. Imagine squeezing your shoulder blades together throughout the movement.
- Maintain a steady and controlled tempo, emphasizing the eccentric (lowering) phase to maximize muscle activation.
- Avoid excessive swinging or jerking of the body. Keep your upper body stable throughout the exercise.
- Using excessive weight that compromises your form and puts unnecessary strain on your lower back.
- Allowing your shoulders to round forward during the movement. Maintain a strong and upright posture.
- Pulling the handles too close to your abdomen, which can lead to improper muscle activation. Aim for the mid-torso area.
- Hypertrophy (Muscle Growth): Aim for 8-12 repetitions per set, 3-4 sets.
- Strength Development: Aim for 4-6 repetitions per set, 3-4 sets.