- Start by positioning yourself face down on the floor or an exercise mat.
- Place your forearms on the ground, elbows directly under your shoulders, and align your wrists with your elbows.
- Extend your legs back, resting on the balls of your feet. Ensure your body forms a straight line from your head to your heels.
Extend your legs back, resting on the balls of your feet. Ensure your body forms a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Engage your core by drawing your navel towards your spine.
- Keep your body in a straight line, avoiding any sagging or excessive arching.
- Hold the position, maintaining a strong core and a stable body alignment.
- Breathe naturally throughout the exercise, focusing on deep and controlled breaths.
Tips on doing this exercise
To optimize your Plank exercise, consider the following tips:
- Squeeze your glutes and engage your quads to support your body and maintain a stable position.
- Keep your neck in a neutral position, avoiding any strain or excessive tilting.
- Focus on your breathing, inhaling deeply through your nose and exhaling fully through your mouth.
- If you experience discomfort or strain in your wrists, consider using push-up handles or placing your hands in fists to alleviate the pressure.
- Avoid lifting your hips too high or allowing them to sag. Aim for a straight line from head to heels.
- Do not hold your breath.
- Maintain a steady breathing pattern throughout the exercise.
At BLK BOX GYM, we recommend starting with shorter durations and gradually increasing as your core strength improves:
- Beginners: Aim for a 30-second to 1-minute hold.
- Intermediate: Progress to a 1 to 2-minute hold.
- Advanced: Challenge yourself with a 2 to 3-minute hold.