Performing Cable Wood Chops requires a cable machine and an appropriate weight selection. Here's how to set up for the exercise:
- Attach a single-handle or rope attachment to the high pulley of the cable machine.
- Adjust the weight stack to a suitable resistance level based on your fitness level and goals.
- Stand with your side facing the cable machine, feet shoulder-width apart, and knees slightly bent.
- Grasp the handle or rope with both hands, interlacing your fingers for a secure grip.
Grasp the handle with both hands and fully extend your arms, positioning yourself to begin the exercise.
Follow these steps to perform Cable Wood Chops correctly:
- Start with the cable handle or rope positioned at the opposite side of your body.
- Engage your core muscles and keep your arms extended.
- Initiate the movement by rotating your torso and pulling the cable diagonally across your body, ending with the handle or rope positioned above the opposite shoulder.
- Control the cable as it returns to the starting position and repeat the movement for the desired number of repetitions.
- After completing the set on one side, switch your stance to face the opposite direction and perform the exercise on the other side.
Tips on doing this exercise
To maximize the benefits of Cable Wood Chops, consider the following tips:
- Maintain a stable stance and engage your core throughout the movement.
- Initiate the motion from your core and avoid relying solely on your arms to pull the cable.
- Control the speed of the movement, focusing on a controlled and deliberate chop.
- Exhale as you perform the chop, and inhale as you return to the starting position.
Be mindful of these common mistakes to ensure optimal execution of Cable Wood Chops:
- Avoid using excessive weight that compromises your form. Start with a manageable weight and gradually increase as your strength improves.
- Do not rush through the exercise. Maintain a controlled pace and focus on proper technique.
- For core activation and endurance, aim for 12-15 repetitions per side and perform 2-3 sets.
- For increased core strength and power, focus on 8-10 repetitions per side and perform 3-4 sets.