Perform Cable Chest Flys with the Cable machine with adjustable pulleys and D-handles or stirrup handles
Stand in the center, facing away from the machine. Position your feet shoulder-width apart and maintain a slight bend in your knees.
- Set the pulleys of the cable machine to the desired height. Attach D-handles or stirrup handles to the cables.
- Stand in the center, facing away from the machine. Position your feet shoulder-width apart and maintain a slight bend in your knees.
- Hold the handles with an overhand grip, palms facing down. Extend your arms out to the sides, parallel to the floor.
- Maintain a slight bend in your elbows as you bring your hands together in front of your chest, crossing them over.
- Feel the stretch in your chest muscles and then slowly return to the starting position with controlled resistance.
- Repeat the exercise for the recommended number of repetitions.
Cable Chest Flys primarily target the following muscle group:
- Chest muscles (Pectoralis major)
- Front shoulders (Anterior deltoids)
- Triceps (to a lesser extent)
Tips on doing this exercise
- Focus on squeezing your chest muscles as you bring your hands together.
- Maintain a controlled and stable movement throughout the exercise.
- Control the resistance both on the concentric (bringing hands together) and eccentric (returning to starting position) portions of the movement.
- Using excessive weight that compromises your form and puts unnecessary strain on your shoulder joints.
- Arching your back excessively; maintain a stable and neutral spine throughout the exercise.
- Bringing your hands together too forcefully, which can lead to strain or injury. Focus on a controlled and smooth movement.
- Hypertrophy (Muscle Growth): Aim for 8-12 repetitions per set, 3-4 sets.
- Strength Development: Aim for 4-6 repetitions per set, 3-4 sets.