You can perform Ankle Touches with minimal equipment and space requirements. All you need is a flat surface, such as an exercise mat or floor, and comfortable workout attire.
Lie face up on the floor with your knees bent and feet shoulder-width apart. Position your arms at your sides, slightly elevated off the ground.
Execution:Follow these steps to perform Ankle Touches correctly:
- Stand upright with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Engage your core muscles and maintain an upright posture throughout the exercise.
- Raise your arms to shoulder height, extending them out to the sides.
- Begin the movement by bending at the waist and simultaneously reaching one hand down toward the opposite ankle.
- Return to the starting position and repeat the movement on the other side.
- Alternate sides, touching your ankles with your hands in a controlled manner, while maintaining stability and control.
Tips on doing this exercise
To maximize the benefits of Ankle Touches, consider the following tips:
- Focus on maintaining a neutral spine throughout the exercise. Avoid excessive rounding or arching of the back.
- Engage your core muscles throughout the movement to stabilize your torso and enhance the effectiveness of the exercise.
- Perform the exercise in a slow and controlled manner, emphasizing proper form and range of motion.
Be mindful of these common mistakes to ensure optimal execution of Ankle Touches:
- Avoid using excessive momentum or swinging motions.
- Maintain control and stability throughout the exercise.
- Do not strain or overextend your neck while reaching for your ankles.
- Keep your gaze forward to maintain a neutral neck position.
Recommended Sets and Repetitions:At BLK BOX GYM, we provide personalized recommendations based on your fitness goals:
- For core activation and flexibility, aim for 10-15 repetitions per side and perform 2-3 sets.
- For increased core strength and endurance, focus on 6-8 repetitions per side and perform 3-4 sets.